Join us in celebrating and protecting our planet during Earth Month – April 2017! The member organizations of the Rochester People’s Climate Coalition are sponsoring a series of events that will provide participants with a variety of opportunities to take action on climate.
To Change Everything, We Need Everyone! This was the rallying call of the 2014 People’s Climate March in New York City, and it continues to inspire the climate movement across the United States. “We need everyone” to speak out for renewable energy and the jobs that it will create, and against the public health hazards and climate crisis created by fossil fuel use, processing and transport. So RPCC is working together to Keep Rochester Cool!
Saturday, April 1
- What: Local CSA farmers offering sign ups for 2017 season. Live music! Real Farmers! Local Beer!
- When: 2 – 5 pm
- Where: M/Body, 1048 University Avenue
- Sponsor: Wild Hill Farms
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/482902838766069/
Saturday, April 1
Passive House Open House
- What: Very energy-efficient house tour
- When: 10 – 3 pm
- Where: 340 Quaker Meeting House Rd, Honeoye Falls
- Sponsor: Airtight Services
- More info: http://www.airtightservicesinc.com/passive-house/
Monday, April 3
NY State of Climate Action
- What: The Rochester People’s Climate Coalition will kick-off a climate-focused Earth Month with this forum that brings two New York State experts to town, Mark Dunlea (chair of the Green Education and Legal Fund) and Elizabeth (Betta) Broad (Outreach Director for the New Yorkers for Clean Power campaign)Following the main speakers and Q&A on their presentations, local organizations will provide concrete opportunities for everyone to take action to make a difference at local, state and federal levels.
- When: 7 – 9 pm
- Where: St Thomas’ Episcopal Church, 2000 Highland Ave, Rochester, New York 14618
- Sponsor: Rochester People’s Climate Coalition
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/339906096404266/
Sunday, April 9
Rochester Youth Climate Summit
- What: The Rochester Youth Climate Leaders (RYCL) are planning a day of interactive workshops, presentations, planning sessions, and learning. RYCL is looking for teams of students and faculty advisors from area schools and universities. Each team will ideally have 4-5 students with one faculty advisor. Schools may send multiple teams. This is an opportunity for youth leaders to join together to address climate change and take action.
- When: 10 am – 4 pm
- Where: Rochester Museum & Science Center
- Sponsor: Rochester Youth Climate Summit
- More info: Contact Terry Smith at email@example.com to register your school’s team. You can also reach her at (585) 509-2745.
Monday, April 17
Climate Action with Citizens’ Climate Lobby
- What: Join Citizens’ Climate Lobby of Rochester for our monthly chapter meeting! Meetings are inspiring and action-packed, with a focus on education, training and solutions.
- When: 7-9 pm
- Where: First Unitarian Church, 220 Winton Road S
- Sponsor: Citizens’ Climate Lobby
- More info: Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, April 20
Sierra Club Forum with Aaron Mair: “Intersectionality and Building a Strong Climate Movement”
- What: This year, your Rochester Regional Group of the Sierra Club is bringing a distinguished advocate for environmental justice to Rochester. He is Aaron Mair, the President of the Sierra Club and a powerful speaker that can inspire our community. Our hope is that this can be a ground breaking event for Rochester bringing together the white progressive community with the communities of color. Aaron has a long history in working for environmental change. He succeeded in shutting down a dirty incinerator plant in Albany, NY by revealing how pollution was causing sickness in the people of color who lived around it.
- When: 6 pm – resource fair; 7-9 keynote
- Where: New Bethel CME Church, 270 Scio St., 14605
- Sponsor: Sierra Club
- More info: http://www.sierraclub.org/sites/www.sierraclub.org/files/sce/sierra-club-rochester-regional-group/ecologue-pdfs/March%20Eco-logue.pdf
Saturday, April 22
ROCWorthy Earth Festival
- What: Come show your support for the planet and science as we gather to celebrate Earth Day at the grand opening of Abundance Coop’s new location on South Ave. followed by the ROCWorthy Earth Fest. Abundance Food Coop will be celebrating the grand opening at their new location with a ribbon cutting followed by SunCommon and Abundance’s ROCWorthy Earth Day Festival filled with vendors offering environmentally friendly solutions for your daily lives. Live Music, Great Food, Activities for children, and more. Come join the fun!
- When: 11 am – 2 pm
- Where: South Ave between Averill and Hamilton, 570 South Ave., Rochester NY 14620
- Sponsors include SunCommon and Abundance
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/331053150623994/
Saturday, April 22
March for Science and Science Expo
- What: By marching, we take one of many steps to become more active in our communities and in democratic life. We hold our leaders–both in science and in politics–accountable to the highest standards of honesty, fairness, and integrity. We gather together to send a message: we will all work to ensure that the scientific community is making our democracy stronger. Our goals are simple: humanize science, engage the public, and defend science.
- When: 9:30-10:30; Expo 11:45 – 4
- Where: MLK Jr Park to the Hyatt
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/ROCMarchForSci/
Saturday, April 22
Earth Day Celebration and Press Conference
- What: Earth Day Party and Press Conference with music, food, activities for kids, tree planting, basic bike repair and more!
- When: Saturday, April 22 from 2:00-3:00 p.m.
- Where: Jones Square Park in the Edgerton Neighborhood, Rochester 14608
- Sponsors: RPCC, Center for Community Health, Edgerton Neighborhood Association
- More info: tinyurl.com/ROCEarthDay
or call 607-342-4334
Mon-Fri, APRIL 24-28
Stamp Out Styrofoam Week
- What: Call your local representatives and ask them to ban styrofoam in our area. Phone numbers and call script here
- When: All week long!
- Sponsor: Sierra Club Rochester Regional Group
- More info: https://www.change.org/p/monroe-county-legislature-ban-eps-aka-styrofoam-from-monroe-county-ny
Wednesday, April 26
Greening Your Portfolio
- What: A panel discussion with professionals from local financial institutions will help individuals learn how to invest successfully while still supporting companies with ‘green’ business practices, such as clean energy, reducing climate change, fossil fuel-free and other sustainable efforts. Additionally, participants will gain a better understanding of climate change risks and opportunities, potential investment upsides or downsides, and the increasing variety of green-focused offerings.
- When: 6:30 pm
- Where: Brighton Memorial Library
- Sponsor: Color Brighton Green
- More info: https://colorbrightongreen.org/2017/03/20/greening-your-portfolio/
Saturday, April 29
People’s Climate March: ROCHESTER
- What: Join us for a solidarity March based in Rochester, to partner with the People’s Climate Mobilization in Washington DC. We are planning a family friendly march and rally to highlight the need for changes in our government to protect our world for future generations!
- When: 11 – 1 pm
- Where: Washington Square Park
- Sponsors: RPCC and Rochester Action Together
- More info: https://www.facebook.com/events/586748658183117/
People’s Climate March: BUS to DC
- What: Get on the bus to DC for the People’s Climate Mobilization March! “To change everything, we need everyone.” Please join us!
- When: Departs roughly 1am April 29; arrives home roughly 1amApril 30. riders will be updated as plans are solidified.
- Cost: Different ticket rates for different budgets. See below.
- More info, tickets & donations: https://www.
eventbrite.com/e/2017-peoples- climate-mobilization-march- rochester-bus-to-dc-tickets- 32255459949
- Sponsored by: Rochester People’s Climate Coalition